Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Weather and Running

Found here

I think pretty much most of the United States has been hit by the giant storm system that just came through. I know it was over in the MidWest on Sunday and we just got hit early this morning. Foruntately I wasn't aware of any awful thunderstorms since we live in a basement and there's lots of other noises going on in the house. However, I was rudely awoken by our county's severe weather alert phone call at about 4:45 am. I opted into this plan so I will be aware if there's a tornado warning. I was not pleased this morning. It was calling to tell us a severe thunderstorm warning had been issued. I tried to go back to sleep but then at 5:05 am another call came only this time it was for a tornado warning. I'm terrified of tornados. So even though our bedroom is pretty much protected since all we have is an egress window, I still made Collin go out into the living room with me where we were furthest away from any windows at all. And of course there was no tornado, it was just the National Weather Service issuing a warning because the thunderstorms that were coming through were capable of producing tornados. Silly weather people. Tell me if there's a tornado actually heading my way that way I don't freak out for nothing. Anyway... we usually wake up around 6 am but at this point there was no sense in going back to bed. I'm a little bit more tired today than usual...

I don't know why I'm so terrified of tornados. I've never even seen one let alone been in one so I really have no idea what it's like. I'm trying to get rid of the intense fear they cause. I know it's unhealthy and when I get scared I pray my little tush off but there's just this uncontrollable anxiety that just surfaces when the possiblity of one coming arises. I guess it will just take some time and some more intense prayer to calm myself and get rid of this anxiety completely.

Yesterday afternoon I did my first day of the Couch to 5k program. I was so excited and hopped on the treadmill and set to work. This first week starts you off with a 5 minute warm up walk and then alternating jogging for 60 seconds and brisk walking for 90 seconds for 20 minutes total. By about my third round of jogging I thought I was going to die. Not really, but I felt really, really out of breath and my heart was pounding. I am completely out of shape and this was proof. I was glad when the 20 minutes were up and when I stepped off the treadmill to do my stretches it felt like I was still moving! And I could feel my heartbeat in my head, it was the oddest sensation. Once I cooled down and my heart rate returned to normal I felt great, but I hope the workout portion gets easier the more I do this thing!

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and get to know my readers better, so please comment and let's get to know each other! If you're new here introduce yourself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...