Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Anger Management 101

For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

You know, it's something as simple as a quote that makes me think. That quote isn't really all that profound, it's actually quite simple. But it made me think about anger in a totally different way. So in a way, I guess it is a profound quote.

When I get stressed I get upset/angry really easily. And I've been really stressed lately. I'm doing better this week, this past weekend a few of our big decisions were resolved and I'm feeling better but there's still a bit of underlying stress. But last week, I hate to say it, I was not too happy most of the week. I wouldn't say I was angry all the time, but there was this underlying grumpiness that would surface at the drop of a hat. And poor Collin took the brunt of it. I've always heard it's those closest to you that you get the most upset with, and it may be true, but I hate it. I hate getting upset with Collin. Last week I started a few too many arguments thanks to being stressed. I'm not saying it should excuse my being wrong, because even when stressed I should not be taking it out on my husband, but it's just the reason it happened and I want to be honest.

I don't want to be angry, even when I am stressed. I don't want to lose out on any happiness I could be experiencing. It's so hard for me to not get heated though. I think by having little quotes around for me to see or think about when I am getting upset or already upset can help to calm me down though. Just the other day I was really upset with Collin and I looked at this picture frame we have on our end table by the couch, it has 1 Corinithians 13 written on it. For those of you who may not know, that's the love chapter in the Bible. It says:

"Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes,
always perseveres. Love never fails."

As I was reading it I was really frustrated and then I got to the "it is not easily angered" part and I felt my anger just disappear. I said a quick prayer and then immediately went over to Collin and apologized and gave him a hug. I love my husband and I always want to show him but I'm not doing a very good job of loving him if I'm angry at him.

I hate that I need reminders to either not get angry or to calm me down when I am. But I'm glad I have them. I hate that I have a temper and do get angered easily some days. It's honestly something I'm working on, something I'm trying to change about myself, but it's beyond hard. At least I have an understanding and loving husband, but even better than that, at least I have an understanding and loving God. Neither God nor Collin like it when I get angry but they love me and forgive me. And I am so thankful. Without God though I would never be able to change.

Cindy

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the simple, yet so true, reminder. Hope you're feeling better and less stressed this week. =)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and get to know my readers better, so please comment and let's get to know each other! If you're new here introduce yourself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...