Friday, June 15, 2012

Best. Dinner. Ever.

Best dinner, ever!

Oh my gosh. I've found my new favorite meal, ever. After our trip to NC in April where I discovered I really liked North Carolina style BBQ I've been wanting to try to make it myself. I searched all over the internet for the perfect recipe and I finally found one. I pinned it to Pinterest so I would remember it and did nothing with it for a few weeks. And then one day I decided I was gonna try it! And I had recently pinned a recipe for Panera's mac and cheese and decided to make that with the pork. WOW. My mouth is watering just thinking about this meal!! Anyway, because it was so good I decided to share the recipes with my lovely blog friends!

Crockpot North Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ
Recipe adapted from Savour Fare blog

Ingredients

2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 (4-6 lb) pork butt or shoulder roast (do not use a loin, it will get too dry)
1 Tbsp liquid smoke
1 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Instructions

1. Blend brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper; rub over roast.
2. Place roast in Crockpot. Drizzle liquid smoke over roast.
3. Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic, and cayenne pepper and stir to mix well.
4. Drizzle about 1/3 of vingear mixture over roast. Cover and refrigerate remaining mixture.
5. Cook roast on low for 8-10 hours.
6. Remove roast from Crockpot and shred the meat; removing any fat. Add juices from Crockpot and remaining vinegar mixture (a portion may be reserved to pass at the table).
7. Serve plain or as sandwiches.

I'm telling you. So, so, so good! I'm warning you though, it makes a lot! Fortunately for us we've really enjoyed eating it as leftovers!

Panera's Stove Top Mac and Cheese
Recipe from Smells Like Home blog

Ingredients

16 oz pipette pasta or other small pasta shapes
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk, heavy cream, or half-and-half (I used milk in my recipe)
4 oz white American cheese, chopped or torn into pieces
8 oz extra sharp white Vermont cheddar, shredded
2 tsp – 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (adjust according to your tastes) (I used 2 tsp of Spicy Brown Mustard)
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp hot sauce (like Frank’s)

Instructions

1.In a large stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
2.While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a 4-quart sauce pan over medium heat. When the butter has melted and has started to bubble, whisk in the flour; cook for 1 1/2 minutes whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in the milk until no lumps remain. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook milk mixture, whisking frequently, until it thickens and bubbles, about 8 minutes.
3.Remove sauce pan from the heat and by the handful, stir in the cheeses allowing all of the cheese to melt into the sauce before adding more. Stir in the mustard, salt, and hot sauce. Return the sauce pan to the heat and stir in the pasta. Be sure to stir up the sauce from the bottom of the sauce pan and thoroughly coat all of the pasta with sauce. Cook for 1-2 minutes over medium-low heat until heated through. Serve hot in bowls with spoons.

If you've never had Panera's mac and cheese, it doesn't matter. Make this. It is to die for. White Vermont cheddar is my favorite kind of cheese and I have a feeling that's part of why I love this recipe so much. However, it is gooey and creamy and cheesy and so, so good. Definitely a winner in my book!

If you try one (or both!) of these recipes let me know what you think. I hope Collin and I aren't alone in our love for good ol' Southern style food!

Cindy

1 comment:

  1. Gah this looks delish!!!!! New to your blog!! Keep posting food like this PLEASE!! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and get to know my readers better, so please comment and let's get to know each other! If you're new here introduce yourself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...