Thursday, January 20, 2011

Kid's Books are Fun!

I have a huge love for books. I love to read and I love my book shelves to be covered in books. Whenever I see a book that I am even just slightly interested in reading, I want to buy it to add to my collection of ever-expanding books. And in all honesty, most of the books on my shelves I have read at least once. Some are still awaiting their time off the shelf, but it will come.

When I read E's post today over at Adam and E I wanted to do a post like it! So keeping with the theme from yesterday about childhood things, I want to share with you all my favorite childhood books. These are books that I loved for my daddy to read to me before bed and that I eventually loved to read myself. These will definitely be in the repetoire of books that I'll read to my kids one day! And yes, some of them are on my bookshelves. Others are in my keepsake box for now.
Cheltenham's Party was probably my favorite growing up. It's about a cat who throws a party and invites the neighborhood animals while his owners are gone. Much hilarity ensues!
The Baby Blue Cat and the Dirty Dog Brothers is definitely another favorite of mine. My mom used to read this one to me all the time and I just thought Baby Blue Cat was so cute. I actually just found out that there were other books starring Baby Blue Cat that I would love to own as well!
I love any Mercer Mayer's Litter Critter book. These are ones that we would always want my dad to read us. They were books that only Daddy could read. It was just special for some reason that way. But basically in the books Little Critter always got into some sort of trouble and in the end it taught a good lesson.
I think in general I am a fan of Little Golden Books but I did really enjoy The Poky Little Puppy. I also think there's a theme with me and enjoying books about cats and dogs. Maybe it has to do with my love for animals, but even my favorite movies growing up had animals as main characters. Hm...
Corduroy was such a cute story about a little bear who was all alone. It made me sad when he got left behind at the mall but it had a happy little ending that made reading it all worth it!
Amelia Bedeila was a collection of hilarious books! All the Amelia Bedeila books were read by my mom because she loved them as much as we did. We always loved how silly and literal Amelia took everything and I want to find every book in the collection to have for my kids!

So there you have just a few of my favorite childhood books. I could go on and on with all the books I loved (and still love) as a kid but I'm sure you don't want to read that much. What were your favorite childhood books? Was there one that really stood out and meant a lot to you? Do you still have some of the books around like I do?

Cindy

3 comments:

  1. oh, these are great!!! i had completely forgotten about mercer mayer&peggy parish!!! aah! how could i forget those lovely authors?!?!?

    i'm so glad you were inspired by my post! there's nothing better than borrowing inspiration :D it's the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mercer Mayer books were pretty much ALL we would let our parents read to us before bed.

    I also loved Junie B. Jones when I got old enough to read for myself. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these are great! I loved amelia bedelia and pokey little puppy. I really liked Shel Silverstein as a kid, and Roald Dahl books were my absolute favorite (once I could read myself)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and get to know my readers better, so please comment and let's get to know each other! If you're new here introduce yourself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...