Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Countdown to Christmas - 3 Days

*This week I'm going to do a countdown to Christmas of sorts. I'll share just a few things relating to Christmas each day this week to get us all into the holiday spirit!*

 photo tumblr_mfdrzg8yau1qgea4oo1_500_large.jpg
Found here

As a kid growing up my sister and I couldn't wait to wake up on Christmas morning and open gifts! It was so exciting to run into the living room and see what Santa had brought us. My parent's had a rule though (the older we got the more enforced it was) that we weren't allowed to wake them up before a certain time. I think that was pretty good for their sanity. Christmas morning must be terribly long and tiring for a parent. Anyway... my parents continued the tradition of not putting out the "Santa" gifts until after my sister and I went to bed on Christmas Eve. As a teenager I remember not wanting to see the tree and all the presents under it until it was time to actually open the gifts (I love surprises). I would lay in bed reading until it was time to wake my parents up and if I had to go to the bathroom I would purposefully not look at the tree. I'm actually still like that today. Christmas morning has always been relaxed and nice in my house, for as far back as I can remember anyway. Once my dad finally got up we would all sit in the living room and take turns opening presents. To me that's the best. I really enjoy seeing what everyone else has gotten and their reactions and what not so it's not enjoyable to me when the presents are all being opened at once. I want to see the joy on everyone's faces! Is anyone else like this? I do enjoy getting gifts, I'm not gonna lie, but giving is so much better!

This year Christmas morning is going to be different. Good, but different! It's a year of starting new traditions, and new memories with our families. This is the first Christmas my sister and I are married. I'm excited to wake up Christmas morning at my house, just me and Collin and the cats. We'll open our presents to each other, get ready and head on over to my parent's house where Kaity and Tim will meet us and we'll open my family's presents. We'll open them one by one each getting excited for the others in the goodies they've received. Then we'll have a delicious brunch (I say delicious not because I know what's being made but simply because my mom is an awesome cook!) But you know what, it's really not about the presents at all. The day is so special because we're all together and we're all showing each other that we love them and appreciate them. The gifts are just a simple way of doing so.

So this Christmas I hope you are able to spend it with your loved ones, showing them you love and appreciate them. And even if that doesn't involve presents, there are many ways to let someone know you love them. The presents are just a nice bit of symbolism.

Cindy

(I have more I want to say about presents and being a symbolism for love but I'm going to share more about that on Friday... stay tuned!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments and get to know my readers better, so please comment and let's get to know each other! If you're new here introduce yourself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...