Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Thunderstorm Revelation

I wish I could say that I took that picture. But alas, I did not. I found it on Pinterest. ♥

Something incredible happened last night. We had a thunderstorm come through and I wasn't afraid. I actually asked Collin if we could sit out on the back porch and watch it. You guys, this is HUGE for me. HUGE! I have been scared of thunderstorms for years. For as far back as I can remember they have terrified me. But recently, I've been enjoying them! I have been excited for impending storms when I see dark skies. I will admit that a few of them have freaked me out a little recently (like especially when they're REALLY bad) but mostly I've stayed calm and enjoyed the wonder of the storm. Unfortunately I'm still terrified of tornadoes, but that's another story...

Anyway... the only thing I can attribute this change in myself to is prayer. I have been praying for a long time to not be so scared (or scared at all) of thunderstorms. Everyone tells me that nothing is going to happen and as long as I don't do anything stupid (like go swimming or stand in a huge field) I'll be fine. But it didn't matter, I was still scared. So I would pray. I would pray every time a storm came through. I'd ask for calming and for safety. And it would help, but only temporarily. Then I started to pray for my fear to go away. And I started facing it. I started thinking about what thunderstorms really are. I started thinking about how they are created and WHO creates them and I started to appreciate it. God is awesome. His amazing and mighty show during a thunderstorm is INCREDIBLE. Last night's was pretty awesome. It was actually probably pretty far from us but it was an incredible display of lights and sound. As Collin put it, it was as if we were listening to a nature symphony. Sitting there on the back porch listening to the thunder crackling in the sky, the frogs chirping in the woods, the wind chimes playing their tune, the rain pattering all around, the wind moving through the trees. What an amazing song! I love when God shows off and makes me appreciate all that He gives us. And I especially love that now I'm able to appreciate thunderstorms. What a great, great answer to prayer!

I can't wait to enjoy more thunderstorms this summer! I can't believe I'm saying that! This is so bizarre for me but I'm SO glad! Thanks be to God for finally allowing me to enjoy this beautiful, beautiful display of nature!

Cindy

P.S. I decided last night that it is a goal of mine to take a picture of lightning. I should have brought my camera out last night and tried to get some good shots but I didn't.

1 comment:

  1. For the most part I'm okay with thunderstorms. We had a few last year that were SO loud and SO bright that they woke me up in the middle of the night and totally freaked me out!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and get to know my readers better, so please comment and let's get to know each other! If you're new here introduce yourself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...